Lockville Canal Park - Drive-by Bonus
"Good roads, canals, and navigable rivers, by diminishing the expense of carriage, put the remote parts of the country more nearly upon a level with those of the neightbourhood of the town. They are upon that the greatest of all improvements." ~ Adam Smith
Lockville Canal Park
Lockville Canal Park is another unique, historical park in Ohio. It is a narrow 8+ acre lot that sits in both Bloom Township and Violet Township. The park does not have any hiking trails or playground equipment. Instead, the park’s main features are the remains of the Ohio and Erie Canal Locks and the Hartman No. 2 Covered Bridge.
When visiting Lockville Canal Park you can explore Ohio Erie Canal Locks 11, 12, and 13. Situated on private property are locks 14-17. These locks are one of the longest series of complete locks located in the State of Ohio.
History of the Ohio and Erie Canal Locks
The Ohio and Erie Canal was a 308-mile waterway that linked the Ohio River in Portsmouth to Lake Erie in Cleveland. The construction of the canal began on July 4, 1825. The canal was hand built and took over 7 years to complete. It measured forty feet wide at the top and narrowed to twenty-six feet at the bottom. It was at least 4 feet deep and was able to handle boats that were up to 80 feet long.
The Ohio and Erie Canal was a game changer. It made it easier and quicker for businesses to transport freight. It was in operation from 1833-1913. Over the years, the canal helped Ohio thrive. The state became the 3rd most prosperous state in the nation.
Once the railroad hit Ohio, the canal quickly saw a sharp drop in freight traffic. In 1861, the State of Ohio leased portions of the Ohio and Erie Canal to private owners. During this time, the can was mostly used to transport local goods. In 1879, the State took back ownership of the canal. Areas of the canal were found to be in disrepair. Leading to the closure of the canal in 1913.
Built July 1862
The lessees of the Public Works
Samuel Boyle Contractor
N. Eberly Stone Mason H.E. Butin Foreman
Since the inscription is dated 1862, I can only guess this was one of the damaged locks. The work was probably commissioned right after the State of Ohio took back over the operation of the Ohio and Erie Canal.
Hartman No. 2 Covered Bridge
The Hartman No 2 Covered Bridge was constructed in 1888 by either William Funk or Jacob Brandt. It is 48 feet long and has a queen post truss design.
The Hartman #2 Covered Bridge originally sat on Wheeling Road, just east of Lancaster. The bridge was moved to its current location in 1967. It now sits between Ohio & Erie Locks 11 and 12.
Fairfield County Ohio Covered Bridge Trail
Ohio is known for its covered bridges. At one point in time, Fairfield County had 279 timber truss bridges. This was more than any other county. Sadly, most of these no longer exist.
It is estimated that there are still 125 wooded covered bridges left in the state. Many of them have been relocated to private properties. Others are cared for by local parks departments. Out of the 125, 17 of these are in Fairfield County.
The 17 bridges are:
Charles Holliday Bridge
George Hutchins Bridge
Hartman #2 Bridge
Jon Raab Bridge
Mae Hummel Bridge
R.F. Baker Bridge
Rock Mill Bridge
A map to these bridges can be found HERE.
If you are interested in visiting all the covered bridges in Fairfield County keep an eye on the Visit Fairfield County website. Covered Bridge tours are very popular. There is usually a guided bus tour every year. We have also heard people talk about motorcycle tours and cyclist tours.
The Fairfield County Park District
The Fairfield County Park District currently has eight original bridges. Of those, 5 are open to the public.
The bridges operated by the Fairfield County Park District are:
Hannaway Covered Bridge (Open to the Public)
Hartman No. 2 Covered Bridge (Open to the Public)
Hummel Covered Bridge (Park is still under development as of 04/19/20)
Mink Hollow Covered Bridge (Open to the Public)
Rock Mill Covered Bridge (Open to the Public)
Roley School Covered Bridge (Currently in Storage)
Shade Covered Bridge (Park is still under development as of April 2020)
Why Were Bridges Covered?
Covered bridges were designed with roofs for practical and structural purposes. Having a roof kept the elements off the deck and trusses. Snow, rain, sun and wind can cause damage to the wood. Having a protective covering allowed these bridges to last longer.
Another reason why bridges were covered was for strength. Adding a covering to the trusses makes the bridge stronger. This allowed for the designers and builders to erect longer bridges.
The Lockville Canal Park is no at normal park. It is a historical park great for anyone interested in Ohio history. It is also a nice park for picnics, weddings, and parties.
At the park you will find a large shelter house and several picnic tables scattered throughout the grounds. There are also a handful of park benches.
The parking lot is narrow with approximately 21 parking spaces. Two of which are ADA and one is set aside for busses.
What You Can Expect at Lockville Canal Park / Hartman No 2 Covered Bridge
Please note that trail rules and regulations can change at any time. The following information was in effect for Lockville Canal Park and Hartman No 2 Covered Bridge as of September 2022.
There are no trails for bicycles.
We saw very few birds at Lockville Canal Park.
The historical covered bridge.
Concealed carry is not permitted.
Pets are permitted if they are kept on a leash and supervised at all times.
Blacktop parking lot with approximately 20 spaces.
There are several picnic tables.
There is no playground.
There are several benches.
Sun and shade.
Large shelter house.
There was one trashcan available.
Two ADA parking spots.
No water for fishing.